British Ceramic Tile and the V&A have once again joined forces to reinvent the humble metro tile with an inspiring new collection of large format designs.
Combining an obsession for classic styling with an elongated version of the metro tile, the collection provides retailers with a unique, highly marketable product to add to their metro offering.
Designed to complement the V&A paint range, Metro is a contemporary addition to British Ceramic Tile’s decorative V&A collection, that pays tribute to the treasure trove of architectural details and art held in the archives of the V&A museum. With six jewel tones alongside a classic white variation, each beveled tile comes in a 15x50cm format and features a rich, transparent glaze that provides tonal movement, slightly differing from one tile to the next for added visual interest.
- Frieze is a subdued shade of white, inspired by Victorian renderings of the V&A galleries.
- Webb Grey pays tribute to Sir Aston Webb, the architect who designed the V&A’s main building. A rich grey with a warm undertone makes it compatible in any minimalist living space.
- Anthracite is a luxurious slate grey composite, which bases itself on the opulent black and granite colours found throughout the V&A. Perfect for creating a dramatic, opulent look, Anthracite works beautifully when paired with Frieze.
- Sykes Blue is inspired by the incredible lunette paintings of Godfrey Sykes, which the artist produced for the Photograph Gallery.
- Peacock is taken from the rich colours found in the arts and crafts movement and Iznik designs. This prismatic jewel shade is featured in many items from the museum’s vast ceramic collections and is inspired by the iconic sea-green shade from the Owen Jones’ Galleries.
Jayne Adamson, head of retail marketing and brand for British Ceramic Tile comments: “The launch of Metro sees us take the V&A collection in a new direction, and provides retailers with a more commercial option. The existing V&A collection is very decorative and caters for homeowners who love to embrace Victorian features. The new Metro tiles will widen the appeal of the V&A collection enabling homeowners to buy into the V&A brand through these more contemporary, versatile designs.
“The elongated metro tile is set to become a sure fit hit with homeowners. A completely new take on a widely available shape, it’s a range that works in a variety of settings bringing a modern execution to walls.”
The launch of the Metro will be supported in store through display boards and a new brochure is also in development to help sell the wider collection.
British Ceramic Tile and the V&A – a collaboration with history
British Ceramic Tile and the V&A launched their first tile collaboration back in 2002. With a mission to pay homage to the designs of old and recreate designs inspired by artworks within the museum, the V&A collection has endured, offering a range of tiles with a hand-crafted look and feel. With both brands looking to remain true to their established British heritage and celebrate their influential design credentials, the relationship has gone from strength to strength with new designs launched every few years. Popular ranges include the charming Puddle Glaze collection with its heritage colour scheme, and the more decorative Clematis, Omar & Mina ranges with their jewel tones and intricate patterns.
Both teams, based here in the UK, collaborate creatively to deliver tile collections that will not only appeal to homeowners but that push the boundaries of the manufacturing process, opening up endless possibilities. Raised finishes, rich glazes, unrivalled depth of colour and detailed patterns based on designs within the museum’s archive make for tiles that create a truly inspirational wall and floor covering.
For further details, please visit www.britishceramictile.com or call on 01626 831391